Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Thai Civil War

I was warned by my parents and other family members not to leave the house. 'Its best to stay indoors and let things be', said my concern mother. 'Wait till the chaos calm down in couple of days', warned my aunt.

The street are filled with people and as history dictates, many will die.

Being a restless soul I am and a true believer in getting involve. I could no longer contain myself from what was happening in the streets. Living in downtown Silom area did not help to ease my desire to gather up courage and friends to push through the roaring crowds. A hothead!, my mother always calls me. It didn't help that the temperature and humidity outside was pushing a hundred. For two days I waited patiently in my condo. Refusing to watch the news for what was going on outside to curbed the urges. I loss! On the third day, I gave in.

Fumbling around my condo, searching through boxes and cabinets to find what was in normal time, a contraband. I found it! My old and trustworthy automatic weapon of choice. Waiting for my friends to arrive was the hardest part as I am fully suited and ready for action. I simply can't let history pass without my involvement!

I was expecting over ten people to join me. Only four shows up with enough courage. A strong team of five, but only two guns. Well, we have to make due of what we have. Others can help us look out for possible danger.

It took us a while to reach out destination. Already I can see a mad-crowd of thousands hollowing, chanting and psyching themselves up. I command my team for possible threats and checked their weapons.

Loaded, pumped and ready to shoot! The first threats we encounter had a much bigger and more powerful weapon than we do. From the distant, a direct hit in my right-hand guard. He dropped for cover leaving me exposed. Amid the chaos, our team got lost and danger everywhere we look.

"Songkran" means to move or change with roots from Sanskrit. This is what we, as well as people of
Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Sibsongpanna State in China and Srilanka considered New Year. Thai fixed the date of 13 -15 April of every year. Others varies according the sun position change to Aries. Until 1940, Thai new year calender began on April 1.

Traditionally, the first of the three days are for welcoming the new year. People will rest and clean their house. The second day is when the water comes in. People will pour fragrant water on the hand of Buddha images and their revered elders and ask for blessings.
The last is Payawan Day, the beginning day of New Year. People will make merit for their happiness. All teenagers will water each other for believes that it will remove bad things. Traditionally, this is the only day that they will meet and play as well as make merit at temples.

That was then, now, it is just war! Water, preferably cold with powder, buckets, water gun and trucks filled with water tanks roaming the streets is the charm of Songkran. So be it, this is what we come to. In Bangkok, most popular places to have fun and ease the political tensions are Kaosarn road, Silom road and if you fancy good music with your water, make your way to RCA.

Amid the political uncertainty and fear of terrorist bombs, the government limited the water playing to 3 days out of the 5 days holidays. Kaosarn road was close at the early hours of seven pm. Which is stupid. So people make their way to Silom road, which was packed more than usual. I frequent these two area every year and decided to make my way down to RCA's Route 66.

I must say that I truly enjoyed it! The music was great. There was even a place for you to rinse off. The whole place was packed and at first, I admit that I fear drunk-fights. To my surprise, people were very much at ease! Everyone was nice and courteous. Everyone just wanted to have fun! And fun it was!

Mind you it took us a good hour to push through the crowds to the entrance. There was also cover charge of 250baht for male and 150 for the ladies. The cover can be use as cash to buy any thing inside. If you want to give it a try next year, I recommend you go there early. Bring your own water as it cost a bit more to buy there. You will eventually have to as it will run out very fast! Say around four or five PM and you can party till the wee-hours. Don't forget to load up your gun on your way out! Oh, take a taxi!

For 2007. my crew took a good beating. It was a new team for us and coordination was poor at best. As we rant on our excuses, we look forward to next year when we will be more trained and prepare for another civil war!

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: